This category allows for individuals from designated countries to come to the U.S. to carry on services including trade in services or technologies between the U.S. and a foreign country; or to develop and direct operations in which the foreign national has invested; or is in the process of investing a substantial amount of capital.

Spouses and family members regardless of nationality may receive derivative E visa’s to accompany the principal applicant to the U.S.

Treaty Trader (E-1) Visa Requirements

  • The applicant must be a national of a treaty country.
  • The trading firm must have the nationality of the treaty country.
  • The international trade must be “substantial”.
  • The trade must be principally (more than 50%) between the U.S. and treaty trader company.
  • Must be the international exchange of goods, services and technology.
  • The applicant must be employed in a supervisory or executive capacity or possess a highly specialized skill which is essential to the operation.

Treaty Investor (E-2) Visa Requirements

  • Must be a national of a treaty country.
  • The investment must be substantial and be sufficient to ensure the success of the operation.
  • The investment must be a real operating expense.  Speculative or idle investments do not qualify.  Uncommitted funds in a bank account or security are not considered an investment.
  • Investment must generate significantly more income than just providing a living to the investor and family or must have a significant economic impact on the U.S.
  • Investor must be coming to the U.S. to develop and direct the company.
  • The applicant cannot simply be an investor, but must be employed in a supervisory, executive or highly skilled capacity.

Here is the U.S. State Department’s list of Treaty Trader/Investor Countries.

Translate »